Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Fast Food and Sunday Afternoon

Here is an article posted on a blog of a guy I know. I think that it is an amazing story. This is the reason that most of the people that I meet don't hate God, but they sure are turned off by church people.

I don't know how many times that my college friends would tell me that the most horrible shift to work as a server was not during the Saturday night drunk rush, but it was during the 12:00 "after church" rush on Sunday. If the people weren't just completely rude and bitter, then they would leave those little "witness tracts" that looked like $20 bills. That is sure to get their attention.

I really love the church. The fact is, real Jesus followers are not this arrogant. I just wish that there wasn't an entire subculture that thought that this woman was standing for something wonderful and that God was going to reward her for her rude arrogant behavior.

I guess that is why I want to be a leader in the change...

brad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know it's kind of funny that really the only people Jesus attacked were those who claimed righteousness on their own and a sense of superiority above others. yet i think i've been where this mom was (although being shy and reserved i never would have openly said anything) and now i find myself being cynical towards organized church and some warped Jesus subculture. yet how often am i truly in trenches loving those who might seem inferior to others. sometimes i just wonder if i even know the first thing about loving someone. do i- a middle class white kid who went to college and came out with a good job, married above myself, became a believer at young age and have wallowed in spiritual immaturity ever since - have any idea what it means to really struggle and therefore be able to sympathize with those who have? no. emphatically. but the beauty of grace is that though I haven't been where that girl has I don't have to be like that mom, but I also don't have to just be an outsider to the idea of loving people.