Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Before you read this, you need to see my last blog to see that I have been wondering why the evangelical church actually thinks that the world will be brought back to Jesus now that President Bush is elected. I am confused at the thought process of some and more than that, I am a bit disturbed at the laziness and lack of faith in the power of the gospel to changes lives.

Here is an article from my brother's blogspot. His site is:
www.justinjones.blogspot.com

"Michael Cromartie, vice president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center...says that religious conservatives insisting on immediate social change have misread Bush. “They are in a crisis of patience,” he says, “and are likely to be disappointed.' "This is the most poignant passage of an article I just read about Bush's faith. I dont think that I have done a very thorough job with my past postings about the role of evangelicals in the political process. Granted, I have told you what irks me, but have not offered what I feel to be the correct position on the matter; partly because I simply dont have the time and partly because it is a very complicated matter to explain. But I will give a few thoughts:First, read the link: In sum, this article simply says that though Bush holds his faith as very dear to him, he does not see his faith playing as central of a role as most evangelicals would like to believe. I've thought for some time now that evangelicals have given far too much credit for Bush in the faith department. Don't get me wrong, I love the man! And I love the fact that he talks about his salvation experience, but the man has unduly been treated like John the Baptist preparing the way for "the Sunrise above" (read: Zechariah's Benedictus).Bush is a great man, but far from what Evangelicals think, he has yet to wear his religion on his sleeve. As the article above implies, his references to God are far from Christ-centered. AKA, any Orthodox Jew should be just as proud. Come to think of it, any theist at all should be comfortable with Bush's Godward references. And that's okay.Obviously, I'm out of the norm of most evangelicals when I consider Bush's newfound "mandate" to cure the world of all its sin. Keep in mind, though evangelicals can scream that they put him back in the White House, they only made up something like 12% of the voters for Bush. That means that he certainly will not feel as though he owes us something; well over 75% weren't thinking evangelically in the voting booth. Which tells me that abortion isnt just an evangelical/ Biblical issue. It also tells me that gay marriage and terrorism and stem cell researcg aren't just evangelical issues. They are traditional American values issues...and this is mostly how Bush thinks. (at least that's what I think)I'm saying all of this to reiterate once again, that evangelicals have to be less political in their campaign to win America for Jesus. Just because most people don't want gay marriage certainly doesnt mean that revival is beginning in America. As I've said before, the way to "win hearts for Jesus" is not found in amending the Constitution or in legislating a ban on abortion...it's preaching the Gospel, plain and simple. And while we are on the subject of abortion, let me burst another evangelical bubble - Republican elected officials dont want to touch this subject with a ten-foot pole! In reality, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, all Hell will break loose in politics and GOP leaders, including Bush know it. You will find very few recent quotes from leaders talking about the evils of abortion...very few. Why? Because right now, they are garnering tons of women voters on the whole, "we protect better" mantra. And, like it or not, Republicans will lose a lot of votes of abortion is killed (pun intended).Anyway, like I was saying, most evangelicals think that having Bush in the White House is step one over the next four years in bringing God back to the public square. All I am saying is don't be so sure. Is Bush the right man for the job? You better believe it. Is he interested in turning hearts back to God from the oval office? Hardly. Sadly enough church leaders are, once again, trying to do things the easy way: "Forget preaching your guts out from the pulpit and energizing Christians to glory daily in the cross (which is where real change will come from), let's try starting another evangelical PAC and make sure that Bill Frist stays in office." I love Bill Frist, but like everyone else, he would treat religion like the plague, if he felt that he could get reelected without it.So, lets not be so enamored with the Bush view of God. He's great but he's no theocrat. As for evangelical leaders and laymen, here's my advice: continue to work your butts off in Washington trying shape policy - that's what I would do. But, as you work, remember that real revival starts in the hearts of men, not on the Senate floor.

Alrighty then? Alrighty then.
Justin

No comments: