Saturday, October 22, 2005

You Must Be Kidding

That seems to be the statement made by everyone in South Florida when we get word of another hurricane heading our way.

The fact is, I'm from Alabama. So, like everyone else in the country (besides the good people on the coast) I heard of hurricanes every once in a while. For instance, I remember Hugo, Andrew and maybe a couple of others if I hear their names mentioned.

But even living in South Florida, I hear locals all the time say things like..."I've never seen anything like this." Which for me is a little odd because since I got here in 2003, it has seemed to be a nonstop hurricane season. I think that we had 4 or 5 that we were dodging in 04 and now have had 4 or 5 in 05. This is nuts.

So for those of you wondering what it is like to be in a place that has hurricanes all the time...it is strange. However, people here know what is going on and they prepare as they need to. OUR governor is not an idiot, like some others, and state and local authorities are prepared so thousands of people are not stuck in the AA Arena. Although some things are scary at times (such as water, ice and gas not being available readily to all of us who are weak and dependent on such things) for the most part I never see re-enactments of the movie "ALIVE". The guys from Florida Power get shot at sometimes, but nothing major (shout out to JC).

And one more thing. People here actually laugh at National Cable News outlets. Most of the time, national news, comes with a presence of superiority to local affiliates. However, in times of hurricanes, national news is sooooooo much more dramatic that things actually happen. I know that this has to do with reporting things in a manner to which people will watch, but crap, they overdo it a bit. I think the worst is FOX NEWS. That Shepard Smith is one dramatic guy. Our local 7 news reports a thunderstorm accurately and while sitting during that same storm watching Smith, you would think that all the "Left Behind" books are true (implying I have my doubts).

And what this all means is that I can actually write a blog about weather. Which makes me a retard.

brad

No comments: