Friday, September 29, 2006

A Day In The Courthouse...

Last week I was thinking a lot about the area in which we live and the opportunities we have to live missional, loving lives around people who hurt. To be honest, South Florida is a place where people live who 1) are getting away from something or 2) think that they have no other option for opportunity and a better life. It makes it hard because if you aren't fluent in "crazy" you have a hard time making it through many conversations.

I met this guy Sunday who was going through a lot. He was facing a court hearing the next day and was scared of the outcome. He is a young black man with a wife and 3 kids (with one on the way). As he sat in my office coming to grips that Jesus was all he had, he began to ask me if I could make sure that someone looked after his family if something happened to him. Did you catch that. Here is a guy who blindly asked the church (defined here as a local gathering of Jesus followers) if they would sacrificially live in such a way that the least of these would be loved and cared for.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but some things take me a while. Although there are endless possibilities to show love, it seems that this one actually came to sit with his family and ask me point blank, "will you love us."

Trust me...I am a selfish person and I still spent time fighting the idea, but this is one that I couldn't pass up. I sat with the man and his wife for about 5 hours on Monday while we waited for his case to come up...together. It was pushed back for a few weeks, so for now, he is sitting at home with his family.

And I am sitting here convinced that those 5 hours of sitting on Monday were the best days of "real ministry" that I have experienced in a long time.

3 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Keep Being Real! You are encouragemet to the EKO!
By doing this you have loaded your squirt gun and have started the charge...and we're right behind, no, were right beside you.

Anonymous said...

You demonstrated the love of Jesus in the real world with hurting people. An inspiration or an old coger to see with fresh eyes what Jesus is doing