Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Losing my mind......

The truth is, I might be accused of this several times before this weekend is over. It isn't the first time, but this is a little more dramatic.

As a pastor to students, I am always walking the fine line between programming for the traditional evangelical church and the calling that I have to be somewhat of a prophet in a culture that God has called me to minister within. The people pleaser in me wants to do things all nice and neat, but the progressive in me wants to push things over the edge. Of course, the latter wins out most of the time and I find myself in a place where I cannot compare what we do to anything else because it hasn't been done before...at least not successful enough to write a Christian bestseller about.

So I am 2 days away from the weirdest discipleship weekend that has ever been done in the history of a Southern Baptist Church. It is a weekend that will focus on God's calling for His people to care about social injustice and oppression....I mean real widows and orphans kind of stuff. Through small group and large groups sessions, we are going to study the ancient scriptures to see what it is that we are missing and what God calls us toward in action and love.

My leaders are shaken up, my kids do not have a clue, and I think that my new friend (and speaker for the weekend) Sam Davidson is a bit excited about the craziness of it all. We might crash and burn over this, but I have an idea that this is the type of "revival" that churches like ours have been looking for all this time. I am expecting HUGE things.

I will give updates on what happens.

Brad

1 comment:

Scott Slayton said...

I am pumped about what your are doing. This sounds like something that is going to have some substance to it. Plus, we don't talk about this kind of stuff enough.