Thursday, August 17, 2006

What A Whore!!!!

Wow…that word makes me shudder. I think I like prostitute better. With that, I can put the object of the title somewhere in a dark alley in a city that I may never see with a heroin habit that is the root of her street walking. I like things that way because it makes me feel safer as look out my window at the golf course below. I try to avoid things that make me that uncomfortable. Yeah, no doubt, I like prostitute better. Or maybe even “loose living.” That is a better way.

But not whore. It is too dirty even for the streets, much less for my mind. The only people who use this word today are morons that you might see on an old Springer re-run or currently on any “who’s the daddy” episode of Maury (you would think we could expect more from Connie Chung’s other half). I am not sure where they even get these people, although I thought I have recognized them from time to time (maybe from family reunions…hope I didn’t hit on any of them).

But back on point, I don’t think that I am the only person that would quickly grab a thesaurus to find an alternative for “whore.” I don’t think that it would ever cross my mind to ever say it even if it was true.

This is how I usually think.

But something is different right now in my head. Sometime recently, this word began to mean something to me. When I look at it or say it, quietly, to myself, I feel something else. I am still uncomfortable with it, but I feel like it is more about me. It is like an identity that I don’t want to have or an identity that I don’t want others to know about me, but, it just feels right. Honestly, I sell myself a lot. Whoever and whatever will love me, pleasure me or satisfy me for a moment will get my attention. I have this feeling that I have been a whore for a long time and that maybe I am just realizing how dirty I really am.

For some time now, I have been enamored by a story in the Bible. It is about a guy named Hosea. God told Hosea to do something that seems really awkward at best. God told Hosea to marry a whore, love her no matter how much of a whore she is and then have a little whore family with her and spend their little whore lives together. And the crazy thing was, God wanted him to do this because He wanted Hosea to know what it was like to love someone who cheated on him all the time.

As I read this, I see me in the lines. I am a cheater. I cheat on God a lot. I am turned around and turned on by the things that promise much but pay little. God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. Why is it that we are satisfied by too little?

“When infinite joy is offered us, [we are] like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slums because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." – C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

Sam Davidson said...

Good words.