Saturday, August 26, 2006

Loving and Ready

Mark 12:29-31 - Jesus says that the greatest commandment is to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength (I think that I kept that one about 15 minutes today).

The second greatest commandment is to love people (I think that one was much less).
I think that there is a link from the greatest to the next greatest.

I was thinking this morning of the times that I helped someone out. A couple of those were when I was driving down the road and saw someone with a flat tire and a look on their face that tells me that they have never changed a tire before. I have pulled over and tried to beat my personal best time in changing said tire and beating my personal best time (just under 4 minutes). A few other times I have helped someone move out of a house when they have just been evicted. I have even helped a couple of old ladies out now and then. One of the things that these have in common is that they are spontaneous acts that arise out of a perceived need.
And the problem is...these are the only things that come to mind.

This might sound funny coming from a pastor (or par for the course depending on your perspective). But most of the serving that I do is planned. Planned or not, giving and serving is THE life of a Jesus follower. I love being involved in planned acts of service. Whether it is a mission project, larger social action or teaching others about the same, they are acts of grace that we show to the world because of the grace given to us.

But I want more of the unplanned things. There is no doubt that there is need everywhere. I do not want to be so self consumed or agenda driven that I miss the God moments. I don't want to be like Jacob (the guy in Genesis) that woke one morning and had that sinking feeling that God was there the whole time and he didn't even know it.

I don't want love to be something that I plan to do, but I want love to be the driving force behind all I do, which causes me to be led by a love agenda.

Love Wins....

No comments: